Between 8 and 18 December 1880, more than 6 000 men gathered on the farm Paardekraal, which forms part of the municipal area of Krugersdorp and swore to stand together until they had secured the independence of the Transvaal. Three men were appointed to lead the struggle - Paul Kruger, Piet Joubert and Marthinus Wessels Pretorius.
After gold was discovered in the vicinity, the creation of a town became necessary so the government bought a portion of Paardekraal farm on 26 April 1887. This was laid out as a town and named Krugersdorp in honour of the president. Krugersdorp became the principal town of the West Rand.
The West Rand Consolidated Mine was the first in the world to produce uranium as a by-product of gold and a uranium recovery plant was opened there in 1952. Manganese, iron, asbestos, dyes, lime and dolomite are also mined.
The Krugersdorp Game Reserve is 7 km from the town centre on the north-western slopes of the Witwatersrand.
Also in the district is the Kromdraai Palaeontological Reserve which contains a display of models of extinct animals and birds.
From our gallery
Created: ; Last updated: