Fort Cunynghame Pass in Amahlathi Rural, Eastern Cape
Fort Cunynghame Pass, a rather strange Irish rendition of the name “Cuningham”, is situated just north of the town Stutterheim at the foot of the Amathole Mountains.
The Pass is named after the small fort and telegraph office built in 1878, which in turn was named after General Sir Arthur Cunynghame, commander of the British forces in South Africa from 1874 to 1879. Fort Cunynghame Pass is a modern, well designed and beautiful Pass and is suitable for all vehicles and is an easy drive with no apparent dangers.
The southern start of the Pass is approximately 9 km on the N6 outside of Stutterheim travelling in a northerly direction and the northern start of the Pass is approximately 33 km outside of Cathcart travelling in a south-easterly direction along the N6.
From Stutterheim the start is at the intersection with a gravel forestry road at the crossing of the Xaxazele river and immediately starts climbing at a comfortable gradient of 1:20. After 1 km the road will level for a few hundred metres before starting to climb again at a slightly steeper pitch of 1:12. The road follows a few gentle curves before reaching the summit at the 3.5 km mark. The descent is a gentle one and the Pass ends, once again, at a crossing of another stream.
Things to do and see
- Xaxazele River
- Scenic Views
- Kologha Forest Reserve
- Pine Plantations
- Thomas River Historical Village, nearby
Free to Drive
Best during daylight hours
Created: ; Last updated: