Top Of Africa (The Carlton) in Marshalls Town, Johannesburg, Gauteng
For the most beautiful bird’s-eye view of Jozi, and its suburbs, you have to visit the Top of Africa, the upper-most floor of the Carlton Centre. Here you will enjoy a panoramic view of the City of Gold from the tallest building in Africa at 223m high; only 40m short of making it into the list of The World’s Top 100 Skyscrapers.
Construction of the Carlton began in 1967 and was completed in 1974, although already officially opened in 1973.
The Five-Star, 30-storey Carlton Hotel was resident here and was the playground of the rich and famous. After 25 years of operation, due to urban decay, the hotel closed its doors in 1997.
In 1999 The Carlton Centre was bought by the state-owned freight company, Transnet and today a mix of major retails outlets as well as several office suites can still be found operating from here.
Some of the hotel’s famous guests included :
- François Mitterand, former President of France
- Henry Kissinger, former United States Secretary of State
- Hillary Clinton, former United States Secretary of State
- Margaret Thatcher, former British Prime Minister
- Mick Jagger, singer
- Late Whitney Houston, singer
Please phone for current prices.
- Monday to Friday, 09h00 - 18h00
- Saturday, 09h00 - 17h00
- Sunday, 09h00 - 14h00
- Public Holidays, 09h00 - 18h00
De notre galerie
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: