Amersfoort is a small sheep farming town.
The area was first settled in 1876 when two farmers of the area donated land to the church, where Rev. Frans Lion Cachet proceeded to build a Dutch Reformed church. The new village was named after the hometown (in the Netherlands) of the Dutch farmers.
When the area became too small for the growing village more land was purchased from one of the original donors and the town was proclaimed in 1888.
The bridge over the Vaal River was built in 1896 and is a national monument. The township of eZamokuhle, meaning
to make beautiful lies adjacent to the town and contributes greatly to its economy.
Crée: ; Dernière mise à jour: